Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Taste Greatness

I am a total nerd nugget
It's totes true, and I'm not ashamed. I collect action figures, I break down movie scripts into their five key story beats for fun, videos exist of me quoting along with The Parent Trap, and I recite trivia about fake sports out loud to keep myself awake on long drives. I used to keep this information to myself, in fact I even kept it from myself. For years I denied myself the privilege of purchasing items that were "uncool" because I convinced myself that I didn't want them anymore. If you think I was lying to myself, you win a free milkshake next summer. Maybe.

Anyways, when I'm surrounded by people who constantly tell me the things I do are stupid, I notice that I start to believe them, and I become a little bit ashamed of myself. I don't like being me anymore. I just want to be someone else.

Do you ever feel the same? Perhaps you'll take comfort in this fun fact: All of those haters are WRONG. God made you exactly the way you are on purpose. Not to say that we're perfect and never need change, but the very essence of your being (a combination of things like your passions, your joys, your sorrows, your skills) was carefully crafted by God himself, and he hand-picked you to do whatever it is you do. Maybe it's being a football player, maybe it's being a musician, or maybe it's just giving the best hugs in the history of hugging. Nobody in the world can do exactly what you do the way God wants it done. Otherwise, he wouldn't have made you. Don't believe me? Check the facts.

"You did not choose me, but I chose you and appointed you that you should go and bear fruit and that your fruit should abide, so that whatever you ask the Father in my name, he may give it to you."
-John 15:16


The fruit stuff may be a little confusing. It's not a literal fruit, but a metaphorical fruit. Think of bearing fruit as getting the job done. And the job is spreading God's love. Jesus has work for you in the world that you were custom made to do. So go do that trash and love it!



0 comments:

Post a Comment